Friday, June 19, 2015

Still a God of no coincidences

I've been preparing to start up a sorely needed men's group for the church I go to. At first, I had some grand plans for a really deep and intense set of meetings and materials. However, I paused (undoubtedly through the quiet prompting of the Holy Spirit) and began to turn to God for guidance. I felt that I should start out more simply and easily so as not to make anyone uncomfortable right away or maybe even scare them off! So, I started thinking about the Christian walk and the two things that are critical for it: Bible study and prayer. So, with the help of Hank Hanegraaff's book "the Prayer of Jesus," I decided to start out with the topic of prayer. And wouldn't you know it, God has clearly confirmed that decision. In the days leading up to the first meeting, our pastor has had a Sunday sermon about prayer, a member of our Saturday night service (who, mind you, doesn't attend our Sunday service) talked about prayer in a message given the same week as the pastor's sermon, and just today, I tuned in to Wretched Radio's first hour and they were talking about -- you guessed it -- prayer! All of these things came about independently, which can only be attributed to the power of the Holy Spirit working out the Father's will. Now I'm really, REALLY looking forward to seeing what God has planned for this group.